COFFEE EXTRACTION KINETICS // Verônica Belchior, PhD
This course aims at discussing the physicochemical parameters that can influence the coffee extraction. The brew ratio, for example, is dependent on the relationship between coffee and water, in addition to the roasting level. The organoleptic characteristics of coffee change as the result of the amount and temperature of water versus time of contact (the balance of molecules varies continuously during extraction). The solubility and polarity of the molecules also impact the sensory balance.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Verônica Belchior, PhD
Verônica Belchior is a biologist, Master in Ecology and PhD in Food Sciences. She is Q-grader and teaches trainings about sensory analysis of specialty coffees and coffee chemistry. In her PhD, she studied the construction of statistical models in predicting the quality of specialty coffees, classified according to the SCA protocol. Currently she’s been carrying on investigating this topic as a postdoctoral researcher.
Module 1 (10Am-1pm):
1) Kinetics – physicochemical parameters:
- Chemical concepts: polarity and solubility of molecules; - Contraction vs. yield;
- Extraction threshold and balance.
2) Other factors that modulate the beverage: - Water;
- Coffee - quality and granulometry; - Temperature;
3) Solubility and polarity of the different molecules in coffee that have impact on the beverage;
4) Scientific evidences.
LUNCH BREAK (1pm-3pm)
Module 2 (3pm-6pm):
5) Shape and distribution of particles in the coffee bed;
6) The impact of the coffee bed shape in the extraction;
7) Kinetics of extraction according to different brewing methods: - Drip;
- Espresso; - Infusion.
8) Classes of volatile compounds that can modulate the beverage: polarity, threshold.
***Promotion prices until June, 20.
Veronica é muito didática mesmo quando fala palavrões científicos para explicar o que está por trás da extração. Me surpreendi com muitas informações e pude ver e provar na prática o que foi explicado. Queria era mais :)